Tomato Pie Recipe
This Tomato Pie Recipe makes an ideal vegetarian meal. Serve it with a big salad as one of your healthy recipes.
|Alternatively, serve it sliced as a light lunch recipe - it can even go into lunchboxes. The pie is made with a single layer pie crust (no lid) and it has high sides - this means that lots of filling can be added. It is rather like having a very thin pizza with LOTS of topping - delicious. This is one of my favorite fresh tomato recipes.|
The pastry is very crisp - a Parmesan shortcrust dough. Making pastry often seems daunting, and I have to admit, for years I made awful, heavy pastry. But with this easy pie crust recipe you won't want to buy commercial pastry again.
This Tomato Pie Recipe calls for Tomato Sauce Recipe. Providing you have this made up already, the recipe is quickly assembled.
EasyPreparation time: 25 minutes - provided you have the Tomato Sauce Recipe made.Cooking time: 20 - 30 minutes for pie shell. 5 minutes once pie shell is filled6 - 8 slices
Ingredients:1¾ cups plain flour4½ oz / 125g cold butter2 eggs¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese½ teaspoon salt1 quantity thick Tomato Sauce Recipe (3- 3½ cups)30z / 100g goat cheesean extra egg, beaten
You will need a 10 inch / 26 cm spring-form cake tin or pie dish.
- In a food processor, mix together the flour and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and then the eggs. Process until the pastry just comes together. With your hands, form the dough into a ball and wrap in grease-proof paper. Chill for at least ½ hour in the fridge. (To make the pastry by hand, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the Parmesan and the eggs and knead lightly until the mixture forms a soft dough.) See Quiche Crust Recipe for further tips.
- Remove the dough from the grease-proof paper and roll out on a floured board until it is about an eighth of an inch (about 3 mm) thick. Place it in the ungreased pan, making sure that the pastry comes up the sides of the pan.
- Fill the shell with baking beans. Bake at 400° F / 200° C for 10 - 15 minutes. Remove the beans and bake for a further 10 minutes until the pastry is golden in color.
- Using the extra beaten egg, brush the whole of the inside of the pie shell. Place the pie shell back in the oven for about another 2 - 3 minutes until the egg wash has set. Remove the shell from the oven and allow to cool. This egg wash forms a kind of cement over the pastry and stops the filling from making it soggy.
- Make sure that the Tomato Sauce Recipe is very thick. Place it in a pan and reduce it if necessary. Spoon the Tomato Sauce into the pie shell.
- Cut the goat cheese into slices and place over the Tomato Sauce. Place the pie under the grill for 3 - 5 minutes until the goats' cheese just starts to brown. Beware that the pastry doesn't burn. If your pastry does start to color, you can make a foil collar to go around the edge of the pastry. (See Quiche Crust Recipe.)
- Serve this Tomato Pie Recipe hot or cold with a leafy salad.
You may also like to try:Veggie Pizza RecipeVegetable Quiche RecipeSpinach Quiche Recipe
See our other Easy Quiche Recipes and Simple Vegetarian Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Tomato Pie Recipe to Easy Meal Planning