Simple Pancake Recipe
Serve this simple Pancake recipe as one of your healthy breakfast recipes. Pancakes...healthy? Well, this recipe contains no preservatives or additives, plus there is very little fat. So, it is almost akin to eating a slice of toast. Just avoid adding lashings of syrup and butter!
|Instead of serving the pancakes with syrup, how about scrambling some eggs as an accompaniment? You are then getting your easy pancake recipe plus a protein fix. Served with fresh berries or bananas, this is one of those healthy snack recipes for kids who need an energy boost!|
If you are pushed for time in the morning, you can make this pancake recipe from scratch the night before. However, don't add the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda until the morning as the raising agents will react immediately with the buttermilk. Therefore, to ensure a fluffy pancake, measure out the baking powder and bicarb in advance, but only stir them into the mixture just before cooking the pancakes.
EasyPreparation time: 5 minutesCooking time: about 10 - 15 minutesMakes about 12
Ingredients:2 cups flour2 teaspoons baking powder1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda1 tablespoon sugarpinch salt1 egg2 tablespoons butter, melted2 cups buttermilk¼ cup milk, if necessarylittle oil or butter to grease pan
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Stir the ingredients gently with a fork. Avoid over-beating the mixture. There will be a couple of lumps, but they won't impact on the final result. If the batter is very thick, add ¼ cup milk.
- Heat a large frying pan or griddle pan. Don't overheat it. "It is hot enough for baking when drops of water sprinkled on surface dance in small beads" *
- Lightly grease the pan with a pastry brush. Spoon 2 - 3 dollops of batter into the frying pan, each about 4" / 10 cm in diameter. Leave space between the pancakes.
- Allow the pancakes to cook for about a minute, until they puff up slightly and bubbles appear all over the surface. Carefully turn them over and cook for a further minute.
- Serve this simple Pancake recipe immediately with maple syrup, honey, berries or scrambled eggs.
Would you like to see similar recipes? Try this delicious Waffle Recipe with berries.
See our other Healthy Breakfast Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
* The American People's Cookbook, Hanover House, 1956
Return from Simple Pancake Recipe to Monthly Meal Planning