Shepherds Pie Recipe
A Shepherds Pie recipe is traditionally made with ground lamb. You may use leftover lamb from a roast. The same dish, made with ground beef, is referred to as a Cottage Pie. However, these days, it seems as if the terms are interchangeable.
|The recipe below is a traditional Shepherd's Pie recipe, made with ground lamb - however, it can easily be adapted as one of your ground beef casserole recipes. The preparation of this dish is quick, so don't be put off by the cooking time - it produces a meltingly rich result and is well worth the effort. Using lean ground lamb means that you can enjoy this as one of your heart healthy recipes.|
A little effort, but easyPreparation time: 15 minutesCooking time: 1½ hours for ground lamb, 20 mins for potatoes, 5 minutes once assembled
Ingredients:1½ lbs / 800g ground lamb (minced lamb)about 3 tablespoons oil 2 medium onions, finely diced6 oz / 170g carrots, chopped into small dice2 cups lamb stock - this can be made up with a cube1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce3 tablespoons tomato paste5 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped2½ lbs / 1.2 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced in half1 oz / 30 g butter
You will need a casserole dish with a lid for baking the lamb. Ideally, use one that is suitable on top of the hob as well, to save on washing up.
- Heat the oven to 350° F / 180° C.
- Brown the ground lamb in the oil, in a couple of batches. (If you put it all into the oil at one time it will just become a gray mass). Keep the meat on one side.
- Fry the onions until they take on a deep caramelized color. This gives flavor to the dish.
- Add the carrots and fry for a minute.
- Add the lamb back to the pan. Add the tomato paste, rosemary, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and the stock. Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 1 - 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until they are soft. Mash them until they are smooth. Add the butter. You may like to add a little milk if your potatoes are very stiff, but I tend to avoid doing this as the potato needs to be firm, but light. You don't want sloppy mashed potato for this dish.
- When the lamb has cooked, transfer it to an ovenproof dish. Top with the mashed potato. Place under the grill for about 5 minutes to allow the top to brown and become slightly crispy. Simply delicious!
Budget meal planning tip: you can make this Shepherds Pie recipe using leftovers from:Leg of Lamb Roast with Lemons and OlivesSlow Roast Lamb Recipe: Greek-StyleGarlic Mash Potato Recipe
If you like this Shepherds Pie recipe you may like to try:Easy Lasagna RecipeMeat Pie - encased in Bread DoughCottage Pie Recipe
See our other Lamb Recipes or Easy Recipes for Ground Beef.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Shepherds Pie Recipe to Easy Meal Planning