Leg of Lamb Recipes
Slow Roast Lamb Recipe: Greek-Style
If you are after one of the easiest leg of lamb recipes, this Greek-style Lamb is simplicity itself.
|After the long cooking time, the meat falls off the bone. Although it is still a pinkish color inside, the meat is cooked and succulent. This is one of those leg of lamb roast recipes which really makes a wonderful meal - suitable for a casual dinner with friends or a special meal with family. It is perfect if you are after make-ahead meals.|
It is the kind of dish that will wait for its guests - you can prepare this roast lamb recipe in the morning and once it is cooked you can turn the oven off and leave the casserole dish in the oven for a few hours without the lamb coming to any harm. Just reheat it when you are ready to eat. The key is that this dish is cooked on a very low heat. This is delicious served with Roasted Vegetables Recipe.
EasyPreparation time: 10 minutesCooking time: about 4 - 5 hours
Ingredients:Leg of lamb, weighing approx 3lb 8oz / 1.7kg4 tablespoons oil2 teaspoons cumin seed2 teaspoons ground coriander2 cloves garlic, crushedapprox 2 cups water1 tablespoon cornflour2 tablespoons honey
You will need a casserole dish with a lid that is big enough to hold the leg of lamb. Ideally, it should also be suitable for cooking on top of the hob.
- Preheat oven to 300° F / 150 ° C.
- Cut excess fat off the leg of lamb. Heat the oil in the casserole dish on top of the hob. Brown the leg of lamb on all sides. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix together the cumin seed, coriander and crushed garlic. Mix with 2 cups of water and add the mixture to the lamb.
- Place the lid on the casserole and place in the oven. Cook on a low heat for 4 - 5 hours. You are probably surprised at this rather loose cooking time! It is difficult to overcook this leg of lamb recipe. To check whether it is done, pull some of the meat off the bone with a fork. If it falls off easily, then the meat is ready. If not, cook it for longer.
- Mix together the cornflour and honey with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Add this to the lamb dish. Place the casserole dish back in the oven and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes - the gravy must come to the boil in the pan in order for it to thicken. You may have to adjust the amount of cornflour that you add, or may have to add more liquid if you feel there is not enough gravy.
- The meat may still look pink after all this cooking time, but, believe me, it is cooked! Once the meat is almost ready, I sometimes turn the oven off and leave the casserole dish in the cooling oven for a few hours. This never seems to compromise the lamb.
- Serve your Greek-style roast lamb recipe straight from the casserole dish with roast, baked or Garlic Mash Potato Recipe, Roasted Vegetables Recipe and a big salad.
Budget meal planning tip - use leftovers for: Lamb Salad with Pesto Sauce
See our other Lamb Recipes
You may like to try these leg of lamb recipes:Shepherds Pie RecipeLamb Tagine RecipeLamb Shank Recipe
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Leg of Lamb Recipes to Easy Meal Planning