Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
with Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
This Egg Salad Sandwich recipe is simplicity itself and it is so light that it ranks with gourmet sandwiches in my book.
|It is transformed by the Homemade Mayonnaise recipe. Of course you can you a commercial mayonnaise, but this mayonnaise recipe is quick to make and subtle in taste. There are also instructions on how to boil an egg - yes, believe it! - the perfect hard boiled egg. There is inspiration by way of healthy lunch recipes and meal planning ideas below.|
EasyPreparation time: 5 minutes for the mayonnaiseCooking time: under 10 minutesMakes 4 - 6 sandwiches
Ingredients:4 - 6 perfect hard boiled eggs8 - 12 slices wholewheat bread, buttered or unbuttered2 ripe tomatoes, slicedlettuce leaves1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped - optional
Mayonnaise:2 egg yolks1 teaspoon mustard - Dijon or other mild mustard1 cup vegetable oil2 tablespoons vinegar
- Whilst the eggs are cooking, make the mayonnaise. In a glass bowl, beat the egg yolks and mustard with a whisk. Start adding the oil very slowly, a little trickle at a time. Keep beating vigorously. The mixture will become thicker and paler. Continue adding the oil in a trickle until you have used the whole cup. At this stage, your arm will be pretty tired and have had a good workout! The mixture should resemble a thick emulsion.
- Add the vinegar. If you feel that the mayonnaise is too thick, you can thin it a little with some milk.
- Shell the eggs. Whilst they are still hot, tip them into a bowl to break them up. I like to use 2 knives and slice the mixture. This means that you chop the whites fairly small without reducing the yolks to a "mush". Now add just enough of the mayonnaise to bind the eggs. If you are adding parsley, do so now.
- To assemble: lay out half the slices of bread. Layer up the lettuce, tomato and a couple of tablespoons of the egg mixture on these slices. Place the remaining slices gently on top otherwise the filling will squish out. Wrap in greaseproof paper or keep in a sealed container if you are going to eat these later in the day.
- You can also add a pinch of curry powder to the egg mixture. My mum used to add a mixture of Marmite or Vegemite and Tomato Sauce to her egg salad sandwich recipe. It sounds foul but we just loved it! Her philosophy was that it was a nutritious lunchbox snack.
Budget meal planning tip - use leftover eggs from: Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs and Crispy Bacon in the Ultimate Salad
You may like to use leftover mayonnaise for Best Macaroni Salad Recipe or to accompany one of these Vegetable Salad Recipes.
If you like this Egg Salad Sandwich recipe, you may like to try: Breakfast Burrito RecipeScottish Eggs
These sandwich-style recipes are suitable for picnics:Chicken Salad Sandwich RecipeChicken Quesadilla RecipeMeat Pie - encased in Bread DoughBeef Burger RecipeTurkey Burger Recipe
Create a delicious menu from our Picnic Food Recipes
See our other Simple Vegetarian Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe to Easy Meal Planning