Easy Paella Recipe
This easy Paella Recipe is a hit in our family. It looks stunning when it comes to the table and is great for casual entertaining.
|Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients - this is one of the best Spanish rice recipes. There is a bit of preparation, but nothing is difficult and you are rewarded with one of the tastiest one-skillet meals. As a variation, you may like to click on our Seafood Jambalaya Recipe link below.|
I prefer using de-boned chicken breasts or thighs cut into pieces so that everyone gets a few pieces of chicken instead of a few people getting one big piece. 3 lbs of clams seems rather a lot but they never seem to amount to much!
EasyPreparation time: 25 minutesCooking time: about 30 - 40 minutes Serves: 8
Ingredients:1 medium onion, diced1 clove garlic, crushed1 red bell pepper, diced1 green bell pepper, diced3 tomatoes, chopped (don't worry skinning and de-seeding)3 cups rice2 pints / 1 liter water 1 tablespoon tumeric or a few strands of saffron1 teaspoon salt1 lb / 450 g chicken pieces or breasts cut into pieces8oz / 220g chorizo or other cooked spicy sausage, chopped3 lbs / 1½ kg clams, cleaned and opened1 lb / 450g cleaned mussels 1lb / 450g whole prawnslittle oil for shallow frying
This is a great recipe for using leftover chicken from Oven Baked Whole Chicken, Rotisserie Chicken with Dry Rub or Roast Chicken with Garlic, Orange and Rosemary Rub.
You will need a large pan or with a lid. (Alternatively you could cover the pan with foil.)
- Heat the oil and fry the chicken pieces until they are just cooked. Keep aside.
- Fry the onion gently until it is translucent and soft. Add the garlic, green and red bell peppers. Fry until the peppers begin to soften. Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the chorizo.
- Add the rice to the tomato mixture. Stir until it is well covered. Slowly add 2 cups of liquid. Add the tumeric (or saffron) and salt. Place the lid on the pan and cook over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes. Stir very gently every few minutes to prevent the rice sticking. As soon as the liquid is absorbed add a little more, a half cup at a time. You may or may not use the full 2 pints / 1 liter. Never allow the rice to get too wet or slushy.
- Once the rice is just about cooked (15 - 20 minutes), add the clams, mussels and prawns. Replace the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes until the seafood has cooked through. Add the chicken back and allow to heat through for a minute.
- Serve your Easy Paella Recipe with a very simple green salad.
If you want a variation on this easy paella recipe, see Seafood Jambalaya Recipe.
See our wide variety of Healthy Fish Recipes.
See our other Quick Easy Chicken Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Easy Paella Recipe to Easy Meal Planning