Cold Broccoli Salad Recipe
This cold Broccoli Salad recipe is delectable and perfect if you are after healthy low calorie recipes.
|Budget meal planning tip: this is one of those vegetable salad recipes which could make a main meal if you were to add a little steak or chicken. See our ideas below. Broccoli is, in my opinion, one of the 10 superfoods. It is high in vitamins A and C, and is also a good source of calcium - so there are lots of health benefits associated with including this vegetable in your healthy diet plan.|
EasyPreparation time:10 minutesCooking time:25 minutes in allServes: 4 - 6
Budget meal planning tip: use leftovers for Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry.
Ingredients:1½ lbs / 700g fresh broccoli4oz / 120g slivered almonds2 red bell peppers (8oz / 250g)2 tablespoons Pesto Sauce Recipe1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar1 tablespoon olive oila little oil for shallow frying
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Break the broccoli into florets and add to the water. Boil for 3 - 5 minutes depending on the size of the florets. AVOID overcooking the broccoli at all costs. The broccoli is ready when a skewer can just pierce one of the stems. The florets should not be allowed to become limp and gray. The color should still be a vibrant green. Rinse the broccoli in cold water to stop the florets cooking. The broccoli should be just crisp to the bite - not too hard, and certainly not soft. This is after all, a salad!
- Heat a frying pan over a gentle heat (with no oil). Add the slivered almonds and dry fry until they are slightly brown, turning them continually to stop them burning. As soon as they are brown, remove them to a dinner plate so that they stop cooking.
- Heat a little oil in the pan. De-seed the bell peppers and slice them thinly. Fry gently until they are just soft. Alternatively, you can roast the bell peppers. Massage a little oil into the slivers and bake at 350° F / 180° C for about 30 minutes.
- Mix together the pesto, balsamic vinegar and oil.
- Place the broccoli florets on a platter. Scatter over the bell peppers and slivered almonds. Sprinkle over the pesto mixture.
If you like this Cold Broccoli Salad Recipe, you may like to try:Barbeque Chicken SaladThai Beef SaladFresh Spinach Recipe with Cherry Tomatoes, Feta and Toasted AlmondsGoat Cheese SaladLighter 7 Layer Salad Recipe
See our Vegetable Salad Recipes, Vegetable Side Dish Recipes and Simple Vegetarian Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Cold Broccoli Salad Recipe to Easy Meal Planning