Coffee and Walnut Cake
Serve this Coffee and Walnut Cake with coffee or as a great dessert. It is one of the best cake recipes and always pleases. This is not a sickly-sweet cake and goes down well with adults and kids alike.
|Don't be put off by the list of ingredients. You will be surprised - this is one of those easy cake recipes. We use light brown sugar in this coffee and walnut cake but you can use white sugar. Dark brown sugar will be too heavy. Don't attempt to replace the Marscapone with fat-free cottage cheese - it doesn't work. This works well as one of your picnic food recipes.|
A little effortPreparation time: 15 minutesCooking time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:6oz / 170g / 1½ cup flour 3 teaspoons baking powder6oz / 170g butter, softened (but not melted)6oz / 170g light brown sugar4 eggs 1½ tablespoons good instant coffee1½ tablespoons boiling water4oz / 120g walnuts
Syrup:1 tablespoon good instant coffee5 tablespoons sugar4 tablespoons boiling water
Icing:1lb / 450g Marscapone 2 tablespoons good instant coffee4 tablespoons light brown sugar
You will need 2 x 8 inch / 20 cm springform cake tins.
- Prepare the tins: line the bottom of each one with baking paper. This is easily done if you unclip the side from the base. Cut a piece of baking paper which is larger than the base. Place this over the base and now clip the side back in place, catching the paper at the same time. Now grease the pans with butter or spray them with cooking spray.
- Roast the nuts by placing them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350° F / 180° C. Bake for about 10 minutes, checking to see that they are not burning. You want them to color slightly but don't overdo it. Chop the nuts.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Use an electric beater if possible.
- Add the eggs and cream again.
- When the mixture is pale and thick, fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Mix the coffee with the boiling water and add to the batter.
- Fold in HALF the nuts.
- Divide the cake batter between the two cake tins. Bake at 350° F / 180° C for about 25 minutes. Test each cake by inserting a skewer in the middle. If the skewer comes out just clean, the cakes are ready.
- Whilst the cakes are baking, make the syrup and the icing.
- Syrup: mix together the coffee, sugar and boiling water until the coffee and sugar have dissolved.
- Icing: mix together the Mascapone, sugar and coffee.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and sprinkle the syrup over the top of each cake. It will soak in as the cake cools. You can make a couple of pricks in each cake with the skewer. Allow the cakes to cool in the tins. When they are cold, turn one of the cakes onto the serving plate. Remove the baking paper from both cakes.
- Smooth HALF of the icing over the base of the first cake.
- Spread the remaining icing over the other cake . Do this before you attempt to place the cake on top of the other one so that you don't run the risk of squashing the icing out of the middle! Gently place the second cake on top of the first.
- Sprinkle over the remaining roasted walnuts.
- There you have it. A coffee and walnut cake that you can be proud of!
If you like this Coffee and Walnut Cake, you may like to try:Rich Fruit CakeMoist Carrot Cake RecipeAngel Food Cake Recipe
See our Best Cake Recipes or Simple Dessert Recipes.
Create a delicious menu from our Picnic Food Recipes
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Coffee and Walnut Cake Recipe to Easy Meal Planning