Chicken Liver Pate Recipe
This Chicken Liver Pate recipe is as easy to make as it is delectable to eat. I tend to be a bit heavy-handed on the port, but you can be more moderate.
|This recipe is ideal if you are after cold picnic food recipes or healthy snack recipes for kids. Our kids love this pate on toast. You may also reduce the amount of butter that you add to the pate. On occasion, I add none. This means that you get a really nutritious snack, packed with iron, minus the fats. Plus, there is no comparing homemade pate with the commercial equivalent. This recipe freezes successfully.|
Clarified Butter is used to seal the pate - this preserves the pate slightly as well as preventing it from discoloring. If we are going to eat the Chicken Liver Pate immediately, I tend not to add the clarified butter, but it is worth doing if you intend to make the pate in advance.
Meal planning tip: use leftovers of this Chicken Liver Pate recipe for Beef Wellington.
EasyPreparation time: 10 minutesCooking time: under 10 minutesMakes 4 ramekins. Work roughly on 4 people per ramekin.
Ingredients:1 lb / 450 g chicken livers1 medium onion1 clove garlic1 teaspoon dry (English) mustard½ teaspoon dry thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano½ teaspoon grated nutmeg¼ cup brandy 2 - 4 tablespoons port4oz / 120g buttersalt and pepper to seasonClarified butter
- Wash and clean the chicken livers if necessary. Pat them dry.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry gently until it softens. Don't allow it to brown too much. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add another 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan if necessary. Add the chicken livers. Cook them for about 4 - 5 minutes in all, turning them. They should brown slightly on the outside. Cut one in half and check the color inside. They should be cooked (ie not bloody inside), yet they should retain a pink tinge on the inside.
- At this point, quickly add the thyme, grated nutmeg and brandy. Add the desired quantity of port. Allow the liquid to reduce slightly by cooking for about a minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender. Blitz until the mixture is smooth. Add the butter and blitz again. You will find that the mixture is the consistency of a batter. Don't worry about this as it will solidify as it chills.
- Pour the mixture into 4 ramekin dishes or other suitable containers. Cover with a thin layer of clarified butter (optional).
- Serve this Chicken Liver Pate recipe with Melba toast, a baguette or crusty toast.
You may like to try:Tzatziki SauceSalmon Pate Recipe
See the wide variety of Quick Easy Chicken Recipes.
Create a delicious menu from our Picnic Food Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Chicken Liver Pate Recipe to Easy Meal Planning