Chicken a la King Recipe
The first time I ate a Chicken a la King recipe was as a teenager at a church evening! There must have been ten different versions. It has gone out of fashion since then which is a pity. I have updated the traditional Chicken a la King recipe by adding roasted red bell peppers and toasted almonds.
|Do you have leftovers from your favorite rotisserie chicken recipe? This is one of those heart healthy recipes which is ideal for using chicken leftovers. However, that said, this is also quickly cooked from scratch. You may poach or bake the chicken breasts instead of frying them. See our other budget meal planning ideas below.|
EasyPreparation time: 10 minutesCooking time: 20 minutes plus 30 minutes for bell peppersServes: 4 - 6
Budget meal planning tip: this Chicken a la King recipe makes good use of leftovers from Rotisserie Chicken Recipe, Oven Baked Whole Chicken or Roast Chicken with Garlic, Orange and Rosemary Rub.
Ingredients:1½ lbs / 700g boneless skinless chicken breasts8oz / 250g mushrooms, sliced1lb / 450g red bell peppers (2 - 3 peppers)1oz / 30g butter¼ cup flour1½ cup chicken stock½ cup milk2 cups peas (frozen or fresh)4oz / 120g flaked almondslittle oil for shallow fryingsalt and pepper to season
- Halve and de-seed the bell peppers. Cut them into slices. Scatter them over a baking tray and massage a little oil into them. Bake at 350° F / 180° C for 30 minutes until they are soft and browned at the edges.
- Heat a frying pan and add the flaked almonds (without adding any oil). Dry fry for 2 - 3 minutes until the almonds brown slightly. Avoid burning them. Remove to a dinner plate immediately so that they stop cooking. Keep aside.
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin slivers. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Brown the chicken in a couple batches. The chicken needn't cook all the way through as it gets a further cooking. Keep on one side.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary. Fry the mushrooms briefly. They should brown but you want them to keep their shape. You don't want them to shrivel up and become watery.
- Add the butter to the mushroom. Once it has melted, add the flour and stir it in, You will have a crumbly mixture. (This is not a traditional 'roux').
- Slowly add the chicken stock and the milk, stirring all the time to prevent lumps forming. Add the peas and the chicken. Simmer for about 3 minutes. Add the roasted bell peppers.Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over the toasted almonds. Serve this Chicken a la King recipe with rice and a salad.
You may like to try:Chicken Pasta RecipeEasy Chicken EnchiladasSesame Chicken Recipe
See the wide variety of Quick Easy Chicken Recipes.
Do you need other 30 Minute Meals and Quick Easy Dinner Ideas?
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Chicken a la King recipe to Easy Meal Planning