Best Baked Macaroni Cheese Recipe
This is the best Baked Macaroni Cheese Recipe. It is not as rich as many other macaroni and cheese recipes and beats any commercial recipe. The addition of 2 beaten egg whites helps to lighten the sauce and the mixture rises slightly during baking.
|You may add sliced tomatoes to the top of this homemade mac and cheese, but I am wary of them making the sauce 'wet.' So, I often serve roasted tomatoes as a side dish. This is the perfect dish if you are budget meal planning. It is inexpensive and substantial, whilst still being tasty.|
EasyPreparation time: 20 minutesCooking time: 20 minutesServes 6
Ingredients:8oz / 250g uncooked macaroni (about 1lb 8oz / 700g cooked weight)3 oz / 85g butter3 oz / 85g flour 2 medium onions, finely chopped2½ cups milk2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard (Dijon-style)4 cups strong cheese, grated (about 8oz / 225g) - mature Cheddar is a good choice2 egg whites¼ teaspoon salt freshly ground peppersprinkling of cayenne pepper
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on packet until it is 'al dente.' Drain. Place in an oven-proof dish.
- Heat the oven to 350° F / 180° C.
- Melt the butter in a pot. Add the onions and stew them until they are soft. Avoid browning them. Cook for about 7 minutes.
- Add the flour to the butter and onions. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk, stirring all the time. Allow to come to the boil and beat until there are no lumps and you have a smooth sauce.
- Add the mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of cheese and stir well.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold firm peaks. Fold gently into the white sauce mixture. Pour over the macaroni.
- Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese. Sprinkle cayenne pepper over the top. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the top has browned. Serve with a big green salad.
If you like this Best Baked Macaroni Cheese Recipe,you may like to try:Pasta alla PuttanescaSmoked Salmon Pasta RecipeGarlic Chicken Pasta Recipe
See our other Simple Vegetarian Recipes and Easy Pasta Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Best Baked Macaroni Cheese Recipe to Easy Meal Planning