Basic Beef Stroganoff
This Basic Beef Stroganoff recipe is in a class of its own. It is rapidly prepared, quick to cook and simply one of the best Beef Stroganoff recipes around.
It is considered a treat whether it is served to friends at a casual dinner, or to the family for a special occasion. It does, however, hinge on the use of tender, lean meat which tends to be pricey. Having said that, you don't need many other ingredients and the fact that it is a quick Beef Stroganoff recipe, more than makes up for buying an expensive cut in my book.
It is very important that you avoid "boiling" the meat. So, you need to cook the meat in batches, until it is well-browned on the outside, but pink on the inside. Then set each batch aside. If you attempt to cook the whole lot in one go, you'll land up with a gray mess, which really is a waste of expensive meat.
Another tip is to fry the meat in oil and not butter. Most Beef Stroganoff recipes require you to use butter for frying. I find that the higher temperature of oil produces a browner, tastier, fried flavor to the meat.
It is important to get your side dishes ready, so that as soon as your Basic Beef Stroganoff is cooked, you can serve. You don't want this dish to hang around and for the meat to become overcooked.
EasyPreparation time: 10 minutesCooking time: 10 - 15 minutesServes 4 - 6
Ingredients:1½ lb / 800g beef fillet2 medium onions2 tablespoons butter for fryingabout 6 tablespoons oil for frying8oz / 250g mushrooms1 cup / 250 ml sour cream*Salt and pepper
*If you don't have sour cream, you can use plain cream with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice added to it. Failing that, just plain cream is fine!
- Cut the fillet into slivers - about the size of an index finger.
- Dice the onions.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Fry the onions in 2 tablespoons of oil, until they are translucent and slightly caramelized. This helps to give the dish flavor. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and brown the meat in batches. It is important that the meat is cooked on all sides, but it should remain pink and underdone (but not bloody) on the inside. It takes about 3 - 4 minutes per batch, depending on the heat of the oil. Set each batch aside. Add more oil to the pan and repeat the process. Set the meat aside.
- Heat the butter in the pan and fry the mushrooms until they are brown. Again, it is important that your pan is quite hot as you want the mushrooms to cook quickly and maintain their firmness. You don't want little shrivelled-up watery mushrooms which you get from a long, slow cook.
- Add the onions back to the pan. Add the cream to the pan. Stir the mixture, scraping the bottom of the pan to get off all the pan juices. Once the sauce is bubbling, add the meat back to the pan. (Some recipes say that the meat should be drained of its juices, but I add them back and feel that they add to the flavor).
- Cook for about a minute at a high simmer. Serve your Basic Beef Stroganoff immediately with noodles and fresh vegetables.
Budget meal planning tip - leftovers can be used for:Beef Noddle RecipeThai Beef Salad with Green Beans
You may also like to try:Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
Return from Basic Beef Stroganoff to Easy Beef Recipes
Return from Basic Beef Stroganoff to Easy Meal Planning