Barbeque Chicken Recipes
This is one of those Barbeque Chicken Recipes which is quick and versatile. If you are following a heart healthy diet, use skinless chicken - but you will still get a really tasty meal with no guilt trip. This recipe was inspired by Maeve O'Meara's Barbeque Ribs in "Food Safari."
|When making bbq chicken recipes, it is best to make the sauce in advance and marinade the chicken for as long as possible. This sauce makes about 5 cups - see our meal planning ideas for leftovers! With delicious recipes such as these, there is no reason to think that a healthy diet plan needs to be dull. |
EasyPreparation time: 10 minutesCooking time: 30 - 40 minutesServes: 4 - 6
Ingredients:2½ lbs / 1.2 kg chicken pieces (bone-in) - about 8 pieces1 large onion, chopped1 large red bell pepper, chopped2 garlic cloves2 cups tomato ketchup¼ cup white wine vinegar¼ cup Worcestershire sauce1 tablespoon molasses1 tablespoon soft brown sugar1 tablespoon smoked paprika1 teaspoon Tabascoa little oil for frying
Chicken breasts also work well in this barbeque sauce - slash them first so that the sauce can penetrate the flesh. This is also a good recipes on the barbeque - just turn the pieces frequently.
You will need a hand-held blender or food processor. You will also need an oven-proof dish large enough to take the chicken pieces in a single layer.
- Heat the oil and fry the onions gently until they are translucent. Add the chopped bell pepper and continue to fry until it is soft. Add the garlic cloves.
- Turn off the heat. Add the remaining ingredients. Blend the mixture until it ressembles a thick puree.
- Arrange the chicken pieces in an oven-proof dish. Pour over about 2 cups of the barbeque sauce. Allow the chicken to marinade in the sauce for at least an hour and preferably overnight.
- Heat the oven to 400° F / 200° C.
- Bake the chicken pieces uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes. Turn the chicken twice during the cooking process to cook off the juices and to produce a stickier sauce. If you are using chicken with its skin on, it is worth spooning off the resultant fat towards the end of the cooking process and then returning the chicken pieces to the oven for a further 5 - 10 minutes. Check whether the chicken is ready by cutting a small slit in the thick part of the thigh meat - the juices should run clear and there should be no sign of blood.
- Serve this Barbeque Chicken Recipe with Roasted Vegetable Recipe. Add red peppers and asparagus to your selection of vegetables for a lighter meal.
Use leftovers for:Chicken Salad Sandwich RecipeChicken Quesadilla RecipeChicken Pasta Recipe
You can use leftover Barbeque Sauce alonside:Beef Burger RecipeTurkey Burger RecipeEasy Chicken Pasta with BBQ SauceChicken Pasta BakeThis is a great dipping sauce for cocktail sausages.
You may like to try these other Barbeque Chicken Recipes:Oven Baked Whole Chicken with BBQ RubRotisserie Chicken Rub RecipeBarbeque Chicken Recipe on Salad Leaves
See our other Quick Easy Chicken Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.