Barbeque Chicken Recipes
This is one of those barbeque chicken recipes which is quick and versatile. If you are following a heart healthy diet, use skinless chicken - but you will still get a really tasty meal with no guilt trip. This recipe was inspired by Maeve O'Meara's Barbeque Ribs in "Food Safari."
When making bbq chicken recipes, it is best to make the sauce in advance and marinade the chicken for as long as possible. This sauce makes about 5 cups - see our healthy meal planning ideas for leftovers and other easy recipes for dinner! With delicious recipes such as these, there is no reason to think that a healthy diet plan needs to be dull.
Chicken breasts also work well in this barbeque sauce - slash them first so that the sauce can penetrate the flesh. This is also a good recipe on the barbeque - just turn the pieces frequently.
EasyPreparation time: 10 minutesCooking time: 30 - 40 minutesServes: 4 - 6
Ingredients:2½ lbs / 1.2 kg chicken pieces (bone-in) - about 8 piecesa little oil for frying
Barbeque Sauce Recipe:1 large onion, chopped1 large red bell pepper, chopped2 garlic cloves2 cups tomato ketchup¼ cup white wine vinegar¼ cup Worcestershire sauce1 tablespoon molasses1 tablespoon soft brown sugar1 tablespoon smoked paprika1 teaspoon Tabasco
You will need a hand-held blender or food processor. You will also need an oven-proof dish large enough to take the chicken pieces in a single layer.
- Heat the oil and fry the onions gently until they are translucent. Add the chopped bell pepper and continue to fry until it is soft. Add the garlic cloves.
- Turn off the heat. Add the remaining Barbeque Sauce ingredients. Blend the mixture until it ressembles a thick puree.
- Arrange the chicken pieces in an oven-proof dish. Pour over about 2 cups of the barbeque sauce. Allow the chicken to marinade in the sauce for at least an hour and preferably overnight.
- Heat the oven to 400° F / 200° C.
- Bake the chicken pieces uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes. Turn the chicken twice during the cooking process to cook off the juices and to produce a stickier sauce. If you are using chicken with its skin on, it is worth spooning off the resultant fat towards the end of the cooking process and then returning the chicken pieces to the oven for a further 5 - 10 minutes. Check whether the chicken is ready by cutting a small slit in the thick part of the thigh meat - the juices should run clear and there should be no sign of blood.
- Serve this Barbeque Chicken Recipe with Roasted Vegetable Recipe. Add red peppers and asparagus to your selection of vegetables for a lighter meal.
- Refrigerate the unused sauce for use with one of the recipes below.
Try these barbeque chicken recipes...
Meal planning tip: you can use leftover Barbeque Sauce alongside...
This recipe was inspired by Australian Foodie, Maeve O'Meara's Barbeque Ribs in "Food Safari."
See our other Quick Easy Chicken Recipes.
Are you looking for something? Use the search box to find it.
To the top of the page