Angel Food Cake Recipe
Who knows the origins of this Angel Food Cake Recipe?
|Is it that the cake is light and white, like angels? Whatever they are, this is the most deliciously frugal way of using leftover egg whites. Because there is no fat in this recipe you can enjoy it as one of your heart healthy dessert recipes - but no cream, remember! Simply add fresh strawberries, berries or other seasonal fruit. |
Plus, as far as Easy Cake Recipes go, you aren't going to get much simpler than this. This recipe is based on one from "The American People's Cookbook" 1956 edition. This cake keeps well and is still moist a day to two later (not that it lasts this long in our house!).
Budget meal planning tip: remember that egg whites freeze well. Pop your egg whites into a small sealed container and write the amount of whites on a freezer label ie " 2 egg whites". When you have accumulated enough you can defrost the lot and make this Angel Food Cake.
EasyPreparation time: 10 minutesCooking time: 45 minutes10 - 12 slices
Ingredients:1 cup flourextra ½ cup castor sugar12 egg whites½ teaspoon salt1½ cream of tartar1 teaspoon vanilla extract½ teaspoon almond essence¾ cup castor sugar
- Heat the oven to 350° F / 180° C.
- Spray a bundt tin with cooking spray and then dust it lightly with flour.
- Start by sifting together ½ cup castor sugar and the flour.
- Using an electric beater, whisk the egg whites until they just hold a firm peak.
- Add the salt, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and the almond essence.
- SLOWLY, add ¾ cup of sugar, whilst still beating. Continue to beat until the mixture is thick and can hold a soft peak.
- Gently fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg whites.
- Carefully transfer the mixture into the bundt tin and smooth it out. At this stage the mixture looks like uncooked meringue. Tap the bottom of the tin on the counter a few times to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Test to see whether the cake is ready by inserting a wire skewer into the center of the cake. It should come out just clean. Also, the cake will "spring back" when you press it lightly. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve this Angel Food Cake Recipe with fresh berries and cream.
Use this search box to find what you are looking for:
Return from Angel Food Cake Recipe to Best Cake Recipes
Return from Heart Healthy Dessert Recipes to Easy Cake Recipes
Return from Easy Cake Recipes to Simple Dessert Recipes
Return to Easy Dessert Recipes (Site Map)
Return to Easy Meal Planning